Sunday, June 28, 2009

Step by Step

Some of you may be wondering about how to "rev up" your physical activity. One of the very best ways to do so is to wear a pedometer. The picture in this posting is of a typical pedometer.
You just clip it on to your belt or waistline and start walking. I received the pedometer in the picture from the good folks at the ELCA Board of Pensions. This one also has a "snap" line because you might want to know that pedometers don't float (once again TMI!). In other words
novice pedometer wearers often report that they dropped them by accident into the toilet.

Along side of this posting, I am listing three wonderful sources for more information about pedometers. One is from the Mayo Clinic, another from PBS and last but not least from an excellent organization called America On the Move (no connection to MOVEON.org).

If you want to "rev up" your physical activity check out the wonderful suggestions at all three of these sites. I have found that America On The Move has the really powerful combination of information and inspiration to "rev up."

You'll read that a good goal is to do about 10,000 steps per day. Most folks walk on average about 2,000-4,000 steps each day. And if you're wondering - about 2,000 steps equals 5,280 feet or 1 mile. So, for example this morning at church I walked 3, 746 steps (almost two miles).
This afternoon, I did my walk for three miles (another 6,000 steps) so, you see the steps all add up.

Now, you might be saying to yourself, "I can't possibly do 10,000 steps." And I say, "that's okay." Just "rev up" and start moving. Get a pedometer and wear it for a couple of days. Once you figure out your "average" amount of steps per day, then "rev up" and do 2,000 more steps.
You'll soon see that you are well on your way!

Step by Step,
rtg

1 comment:

  1. Ron - funny you should talk about pedometers today! I was having a conversation today recalling the Board of Pension's campaign to wear pedometers and walk 10,000 steps a day. But what I remember the most is that they were handing our free pedometers! The reason for my recollection is that we are hosting a mother daughter retreat at STHS this August and our focus is "Beautiful you - child of God." We'll be doing all sorts of things emphasizing healthy, beautiful hearts to which my question to you is - are there any left over free perdometers I can get ahold of for our retreat?

    Walking peace to you, brother! Libbie Reinking

    ReplyDelete