Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wait & Weight


I just read the abstract for the report by the TRUST for AMERICA'S Health (TFAH) and the
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). It is entitled "F as in Fat 2009- How Obesity Policies are Failing in America." A link has been provided on this blog for you to check out how your state is doing. Kudos to the good folks in Minnesota! I encourage you to check out the report and then make some comments on this blog.

The picture on the left was taken in Phoenix at the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. Our good friends Sherrie and John ran the half along with Sue Ann.
I happened to walk the half with my friend Cynthia Tanner (who as this picture was taken was congratulating her husband Bob who ran the marathon). It seems to me that a key element or ingredient to increasing physical activity and decreasing caloric intake is to have a friend participate with you. For example, my friend Bob P just got back into town and emailed me to invite me to walk with him tomorrow morning at 7am. Now, I have to tell you that tomorrow at 6am when the alarm goes off, I will not be very interested in walking. But, since I have an appointment with Bob, I won't disappoint him. In other words, I'll show up. Whereas, if I was just counting on my own good intentions I just might let the opportunity slide off my calendar until the 3rd of July or maybe the fourth of July.

So, here's what I'm saying, the more you and I "wait" to increase physical activity, the more
chances that weight will increase and caloric intake will not decrease.

2 comments:

  1. I was just telling Tina this morning, while walking in Wash Park at 5:30am, that if it wasn't for visiting with her, I most likely would NOT be out walking. You are so right about having a friend to help hold you more accountable to exercising!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I recognize that motely crew of walker/runners!

    ReplyDelete