Saturday, July 11, 2009

Walk the Talk and Talk the Walk


On Friday Sue Ann and I celebrated our 33rd Wedding anniversary.
We both worked during the day but had a lovely dinner with some
friends on Friday night. Both of us are training for the marathon in Portland, Maine on October 4th. Sue Ann is going to run the marathon.
I plan on walking it. I must confess that we've had more advice and done more training on "doing" marathons than we did in terms of pre-marital counseling. Back the, I mean in 1976 it was a pretty straight forward process in terms of making wedding arrangements. Although, as I remember it I didn't have too many responsibilities besides actually showing up for the rehearsal and the wedding.

On Thursday my friend Paul and I walked twelve miles. As we walked we talked. As we talked we walked. There were some times of silence but most of the three hours were filled with conversations. As I've indicated it's good to have a friend when it comes to training. There are those times when silence and the solitude of the process are benefits. However, it's important to have people to share the journey.

The picture in this posting is of one of my favorites "treats" along the way, Clif Shot Bloks specifically the Lemon/Lime ones. These "bloks" are as the good folks at the Clif Bar Company state a way to "replace carbs and electrolytes during activity." If you haven't tried them before I suggest you might want to sample them. They are available at most sporting goods stores as well as runners/walkers shoe stores.

I think marriage is similar to a marathon. I'm grateful for Sue Ann's constant love throughout the journey. I am mindful of how our parents, siblings, friends and parishioners have "cheered" us on along the way.

Have a blessed day and meditate on the words of the Psalmist who wrote in Psalm 26

But as for me, I walk in my integrity;
redeem me, and be gracious to me.
12My foot stands on level ground;
in the great congregation I will bless the LORD.

1 comment:

  1. RTG, Congratulations to you and Sue Ann on the celebration of your wedding anniversary. You are a very special couple to many people and we all join with you in the celelbration. JK

    ReplyDelete