Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lots of GOOD STUFF & Back To Weight Watchers


Two weeks ago tomorrow, I walked 26.2 miles in the Maine Marathon. I had some really positive experiences along the way. I also realized that I need to work on some things. First of all, the things I need to work on. (1) I need to drop some pounds; (2)I need to get a new hat (I've been wearing my white canvas Augsburg cap-in honor of my daughter Hannah's alma mater); (3) I need to learn some more about ChiWalking@; (4)I've been under the impression(i.e delusion) that walking around Wash Park is three miles(in reality I think it is something less) http://www.washpark.com/info/washpark-map/ and http://thoos.com/guides/washington-park-perimeter (IT's MORE LIKE 2.6 miles and (5)I need to work on recovery.
Now for the positive experiences.
(1) I had a great time; (2)My serendipity decision to walk as PumpkinMan was made less than 24 hours before the race (Aaron and John both bet me $20 that I wouldn't wear the costume. I told them that as a Lutheran pastor I've done more for a lot LESS); Folks along the route gave me lots of "social energy." In addition, because I was in "costume" I was able to really work on being an encourager. Somehow, someway because I was a giant pumpkin, I was more approachable. (3) I made good use of my ipod, had plenty of hydration and nutrition. (4) I kept my arms moving and at a 90 degree angle to my body; (5) I laughed a lot and had a great deal of fun; (6) I was able to help a runner who fell and needed some quick assistance; (7)My verse of Phil.4:13 kept me going, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me," ; (8)I had great socks on (thanks Sue Ann) and last but not least, (9) I was able to twitter and text to supportive friends and family along the way.

On Thursday, October 14 I made the long trek back to Weight Watchers. I hadn't been at a meeting since some time in March. So, while the marathon was a long walk, the walk back to WW was perhaps even longer. Since Thursday, I've been very conscious about my intake and consequently my physical activity. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment